Sunday, May 6, 2012

Months 2-3

PJ is now 17 weeks old (3 months and 28 days). My husband and I have enjoyed watching him expand his use of toys. (Months 0-1, he was only using two items happily).

During his 2nd and 3rd months of life, PJ has learned to:
  • Sit in his Bumbo Baby Seat for about 5 minutes at a time. We sit on the floor with him and chat.
  • Grab items from his Fisher-Price Rainforest Melodies and Lights Gym (In particular, he likes kicking the rattle, and grabbing the parrot).
  • He's still a fan of his Tiny Love Gymini Bouncer, which was the first "toy" we were able to put him in from the hospital. He can now grab toys that hang from the sides. He has hated vibrations for the past two months.
  • During tummy time, he can now pick up his head and arch his back.
  • He can roll on to his side, and onto his back again. With a moderate push with a finger, we can get him to roll all the way onto his belly. He's excited, until he realizes he can't get back over.
  • As of today, he can grab his bottle and hold it to feed himself for approximately 5 seconds.
Over the past month, my son seems to really enjoy a ball we received as a gift. It has lots of circular holes in it and he enjoys grabbing it, and chewing on it. He also likes to chew on his Sophie Teether.

Bibs have become vital. He's a drooling machine. We go through 10+ bibs per day. I really like the ones with the rubber back. He no longer fits the newborn bibs (and has outgrown most of his 3 month clothes).

Since birth, we've read our son a variety of Mr. Men and Little Miss books. When he was first born, we used to read Mr. Cool to him regularly. He seems to still remember Mr. Cool-- but he also loves Mr. Greedy, Mr. Busy, and Mr. Slow. This month, we added Mr. Tickle and the Dragon to our reading sessions, and Mr. Jelly and the Pirates. We also enjoy Girrafes Can't Dance and Liza Lou And The Yeller Belly Swamp. (By enjoy, I mean books that get PJ testing out his baby chatter).

Diaperwise, I think my favorite daytime diapers are fitteds with a cover. They contain his poop really well at this point in his life. My favorite fitteds are the ones that fit under the covers easily:
In the beginning, I really loved my Thirsties Wrap (Size one still fits). As of yesterday, our Flip Covers started to fit nicely at the smallest setting as well. I'd say we generally go through 2-4 wraps in a day. When I don't use the fitteds, I like the organic insert for the flip covers. Its less bulky than the microfiber currently. I really like the velcro Flip covers for times when PJ wants to be free, immediately. He kicks like Michael Phelps and the velcro takes two seconds.

I will occasionally put a Bummis Fleece Liner on the top of the natural insert to prevent PJ from feeling a damp diaper when he pees. I've had no trouble with Mictofiber thus far-- but it doesn't fit best in the Flips when on the smallest setting. I also find that I prefer not to fold the inserts. The diaper gets to bulky when I do. 

For travel, we use the BumGenius Elementals. They're pretty trim as far as all-in-ones (AIOs) go. They also hold a lot and we have never had a leak using this diaper. I throw two or three in the diaper bag, and we're good to go! 

For overnight, we use BumGenius Freetimes. They're a little bulkier than the Elemental diaper, but hold a ton. In the morning, the underside of the microfiber is soaked... but the top portion still feels dry. Amazing.

Around month two, my husband only used our Blueberry Pocket Diapers with velcro. He now goes for some of our snap diapers as well.

At our changing station, we're still using OsoCozy Flannel Baby Wipes. I keep them in a wipe warmer with distilled water. I have also found that I love California Baby's Diaper Area Wash. I spray one or two squirts on my wipe for pee diapers-- and directly on my baby's bottom for poo diapers.

Looking forward to month 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment