Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Change of Heart

C and I were at Marshalls shopping for bed sheets the other day. I've been coaxing him for two years to commit to buying them, so this trip was a big deal!

Our Marshalls is more of a family store. I've found that I now enjoy watching other mom's deal with their screaming children-- and I'm all the more thankful on trips to the store without my (potentially) screaming child.

When we arrived at the store, shopping with the hubby went as per our usual. I eyed everything and C pushed me along telling me that we needed nothing (regardless of my actual desire to buy whatever I was looking at). We stayed in the bedding isle for maybe five minutes and picked out the perfect set of campaign colored sheets and a matching quilt. I was delighted! 

On the way to checkout, I was even more delighted when C went off to investigate the men's jean section. I was free to browse the isles and envision random things we didn't need in our home. As a new mama, I went straight over to the previously avoided children's section-- which was filled with yelling children of all ages.

The Dr. Seuss books caught my eye. I marched straight over and got hit in the head with a soft baseball. First emotion.. I was pretty ticked off. I looked at the kid and then at the ball by my feet. I took a deep breath and thought about my kid, who would probably throw lots of balls and potentially harder objects at random people. And I'd hope they'd treat him kindly. I picked up the ball, and eyed he two guilty-faced culprits. They looked like they wanted to run and hide. I threw them a smile and tossed the ball back... poorly (I've never been known to throw things successfully to a target). I shrugged and said "No worries, it looks like I've got bad aim too". They laughed and continued to play.

I'd like to think I planted a seed for kindness.

My son hated Dr. Seuss. We'll try again in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment