Thursday, May 10, 2012

4-hour E.A.S.Y

I am so proud of myself.

Getting PJ to take a nap has proven to be one of the most challenging experiences of motherhood. I see the yawn-- and I usually try for hours. He'll cry himself into smiles and giggles-- at which point, I usually give up until I have another opportunity to try again. Today, I got it.

I added two diaper changes to our EASY system... so it's now the DEADSY system: Diaper, Eat, Activity, Diaper, Sleep, You.

My morning schedule was like this since PJ woke at 5:30a:

  • 5:30a DIAPER CHANGE
  • 5:35a EAT: Bottle (4oz)
  • 5:45a - 7:30a ACTIVITY (We read a book, danced to some motown, PJ listened to "The Phantom of the Opera" for the first time, we practiced standing and sitting)
  • 7:35a DIAPER CHANGE
  • 8:15a SLEEP (I started "setting the scene" at 8a).
There are 4 cycles of this each day and one eat sleep cycle at night. I never had a miserable baby-- but I feel like PJ enjoys the routine and consistency. I've gotten better at holding him in place when he's in the crib so he won't wriggle himself awake. (If I'm not on the ball on this one, I get two tries before he's infuriated and refuses to sleep). 

Anyhow, The Baby Whisperer did seem to solve our sleep problems. Last night, PJ only woke once for his late night feed and diaper change which took place from 12:30a - 1:30a. He attempted to stay awake after finishing his bottle, but my husband and I Shhh-ed him back to sleep with minimal interaction. I think we're doing well.

The book does recommend putting your child down again if they wake at 5:30a... but I don't. My husband is generally getting ready for work at this time. After which, I'm getting ready for work. With all the noise we make each morning, we haven't been able to make him sleep effectively. So we start this system a tad early. PJ is generally up between 5:30a and 6:30a. We let him wake on his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment